Antioxidants are a vital part of any skincare and play a key role in the skin health restoration process. “Antioxidants” are a buzzword in the skincare industry and are frequently referenced in conversations and messaging around skin health. However not all patients are familiar with what an antioxidant actually is, what it does and why it is important to include in your skin health regimen. Understanding what antioxidants are is the first step in upgrading your skin defense.
Antioxidants are a group of vitamins and minerals that minimize the process of oxidation, which in basic terms is a chemical reaction that occurs over time in skin. Oxidative stress contributes to the aging process, which manifests as wrinkles, sagging skin, loss of volume and more.
Additionally, as skin ages, its ability to withstand environmental aggressors and to repair damage begins to deteriorate. As internal and external stressors build up in the skin, this can contribute to chronic, low-grade inflammation that can cause premature signs of aging, which impact skin health.
Incorporating antioxidants into your skincare regimen, whether in a preventive or corrective protocol, can maximize skin health results. They offer numerous benefits, from protecting against premature signs of aging to brightening the skin—it is no wonder why they can become the hero of any skincare regimen.
THE EVOLUTION OF DAILY DEFENSE FROM ZO
External aggressors and pollution can damage skin and contribute to the process of “inflammaging.” This can lead to premature signs of aging, such as dullness, dehydration, uneven tone and lines + wrinkles.
One way to keep the effects of inflammaging at bay is to incorporate a daily dose of antioxidants to promote youthful-looking, glowing skin. New ZO Illuminating AOX Serum delivers all-day environmental protection while enhancing skin glow and blurring imperfections. This concentrated daytime serum contains multiple powerhouse exclusive technologies, including
- New ZPOLY™ complex that minimizes the signs of premature anti-aging while infusing extended hydration + strengthening skin’s barrier
- time-released antioxidant complex ZOX12® that defends against environmental aggressors
- soothing and free-radical neutralizing ZO-RRS2®
This concentrated serum is designed to tackle inflammaging at multiple avenues.
- ZOX12®: Exclusive complex of vitamins A, C, and E delivers 12 hours of antioxidant protection as first line of defense against free radicals throughout the day
- ZO-RRS2®: Exclusive plant stem cell complex that helps to neutralize aging free radicals while soothing visible redness
- ZPOLY™: Exclusive, plant-derived polysaccharide complex that minimizes signs of premature aging while infusing extended hydration
- Micrococcus lysate, arabidopsis thaliana extracts: Specialized enzymes that encourage optimum skin cell health
- Micro minerals: Provide a subtly pearlescent “soft focus” finish
But, let’s not over look the next-generation ZO Daily Power Defense which has been reformulated and elevated with new technologies, like new ZPOLY™ complex, to better support the appearance of youthful, healthy skin. This clinically proven, advanced serum strengthens skin’s protective barrier and guards against environmental stressors.
- Vitamins A + E: Potent antioxidants that protect against environmental skin aging
- ZO-RRS2®: Exclusive plant stem cell complex that helps to neutralize free radicals while soothing visible redness
- ZPOLY™: Exclusive plant-derived polysaccharide complex that minimizes signs of premature aging while infusing extended hydration
- Micrococcus lysate, arabidopsis thaliana extract: Specialized enzymes that encourage optimum skin cell health
To get antioxidant protection around the clock, apply Illuminating AOX Serum in the morning and Daily Power Defense at night.
One of the most well-known antioxidants, vitamin C, helps to brighten the complexion and supports natural collagen production.
ZO 10% Vitamin C Self-Activating reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and promotes a more even-toned complexion by reducing surface discoloration. Added antioxidant protection minimizes the effects of environmental aggressors to promote overall skin health.
- Ascorbic acid (10%): Exfoliates skin surface pigmentation for a more even tone and brighter complexion
- Tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate: Stable vitamin C ester that helps to brighten skin
- Tocopheryl acetate & coenzyme-Q10: Provides multiple antioxidant protection
- Squalane: Mimics our body’s own natural moisturizer factor for additional hydration
Another antioxidant brighten is ZO Brightalive
A technologically advanced skin brightener clinically proven to increase luminosity, visibly improve skin clarity and fade the appearance of dark spots for a brighter, more even complexion. Non-hydroquinone and non-retinol.
- Intelligent peptide drone: Precision-driven encapsulated peptide aids in fast onset of skin brightening
- Tranexamic Acid: Helps minimize discoloration without irritation or sensitivity
- Niacinamide: Form of vitamin B3; helps to reduce the appearance of uneven skin tone + supports skin’s barrier function
- Papain: Provides gentle, enzymatic exfoliation to improve skin texture and tone
- Beta glucan, licorice derivative: Help to calm + soothe skin
Antioxidants play a vital role in sun protection. In addition to providing comprehensive protection against UVA, UVB and blue light, all ZO® sunscreens contain the exclusive complex ZOX12® which provides 12 hours of antioxidant protection to minimize free radical skin aging and the harmful effects of infrared-A (IR-A) rays.. Whether looking for chemical or physical sunscreens or to have one to fit your lifestyle, ZO® Sunscreens have your skin health in mind.
ZO Smart Tone Broad-Spectrum SPF 50
A lightweight sunscreen with a self-adjusting tint that complements most skin tones while providing a healthy, hydrated glow. Featuring an exclusive antioxidant complex while protecting against the aging effects of UVA/UVB, IR-A rays and HEV light.
- Avobenzone 3%, homosalate 10%, octisalate 5% and octocrylene 10%: Provide broad-spectrum UVA and UVB protection
- Plant-derived melanin: Helps to shield skin from HEV blue light
- Iron oxides and mica: Delivers adaptable skin tone color correction + immediate brightening
- ZOX12®: Exclusive, 12-hour time-release antioxidant complex that fights against free radical damage
- Tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate: Stable vitamin C that works deeper in skin to minimize the appearance of future dark spots
ZO Daily Sheer Broad Spectrum SPF 50
Water and perspiration resistant, this non-greasy sunscreen, with ZOX12® complex dries quickly with a sheer matte finish to shield against UVA/UVB and IR-A rays, and HEV light. Protects while also hydrating.
- Avobenzone 3%: Sunscreen
- Homosalate 10%: Sunscreen
- Octinoxate 5%: Sunscreen
- Octisalate 5%: Sunscreen
- Octocrylene 3%: Sunscreen
ZO Sunscreen + Primer SPF 30
This dual-action sunscreen, with ZOX12® complex, protects against the damaging effects from UVA/UVB and IR-A rays, and from HEV light. Hydrates and doubles as a makeup primer for a smooth matte finish, diminishing skin imperfections.
- Zinc oxide (20%), Titanium dioxide (1%): Provides broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection
- Natural melanin: Natural photo-protective compounds and free radical quenchers
- Vitamin E: Provides antioxidant properties
- Silicones: Primes the skin to provide a soft, silky finish before makeup application